Saturday, August 13, 2011

♥ The man with a dollar ♥

         I was inspired by an old man to write this piece of blog today. I went with my family to indulge in sumptuous lunch at a well known Indian restaurant. 


       There were many people around with family or friends. All of them were spoiled for choice over the variety of fish, chicken, mutton and vegetables cooked in different styles. I saw a family where the mother was coaxing her daughter to finish up her meal of chicken and vegetables. When she failed to coax her little one, they left, with leftovers on their plates which  what could have been a good meal for one. 




        
  As I was having my lunch, I saw a frail man, with no slippers, shirtless, thin and old Indian man. Without hesitation he walked into the restaurant and proceeded to the food counter where people take-away their food. There, he showed the waiter a neatly folded one ringgit note in his hand and told  the waiter he wanted rice and curry respectively for that amount, with no choice offered to him due to the lack of cash in his hand. He waited patiently for his need to be fulfilled. I saw his fidgeting and talking to himself. When he was handed his packed of food, he  gave his one ringgit note to the waiter and then walked away quickly into the dining area of the shop.  Picking a quiet corner and ignoring the stares of many, he pulled out the chair, sat and carefully opened his packet of food. He hungrily ate his lunch, taking no time to chew his food, only to gobble it all down. He did not even ask for a tumbler of warm water even though the water is given for free. Perhaps he did not know. I was moved. I don't know why I found it hard to swallow my food. I intended to buy him extra dish as that was what my heart was asking me too. But I was afraid how he would take it. Would he be happy to get that extra dish of chicken or fish to go along with his plain rice and flat curry or would he feel angry because I pitied him? As i was having a conflict within myself, I saw him carefully crumpling his food packet. He was done. He rose from his chair and stumbled lightly as he walked over to the sink. He threw the packet carefully into the rubbish bin, washed his hand without soap. And walked away as fast as he had came in. I sat there still, thinking, why didn't I get him the extra dish? I should have taken the initiative. 
          Now, I'm sitting at home, writing this blog having such a mixed feelings. Perhaps I should have just bought him that extra dish.........

No comments:

Post a Comment